Skip to main content

Licensure in Other States

Vanderbilt recommends that each licensure candidate seek licensure in Tennessee, in his/her home state, and in other states where the alum plans to seek a teaching position in the four years following program completion.

Peabody teacher education graduates have been able to apply for and receive a license to teach in any state or foreign country. Students should be aware that each state has its own set of requirements and that our program requirements are designed to ensure eligibility of a teaching license in Tennessee. There generally are three ways to qualify for a license in another state based on a Tennessee license:

  1. NASDTEC Interstate Agreement (Interstate Agreement Documents). Please note that a NASDTEC Interstate Agreement is not necessarily full reciprocity. The educator may have to complete additional requirements, such as coursework, assessments, or classroom experience, before receiving a full professional certificate in the new state.
  2. Recognition of a CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation) accredited program. (Some states will recognize a license based on completion of a teacher preparation program that is accredited by CAEP, even if they do not recognize contract states.) Vanderbilt is CAEP accredited.
  3. Some states still analyze transcripts. That means they do not have agreements/contracts with other states or with CAEP, and their state department of education staff will review the transcripts of an applicant for a teaching license. (If you are planning to move to a state that analyzes transcripts please be sure to consider requirements for that state during program completion. Important things to know include whether the state will accept classes taken as pass/fail and course requirements for the license you are seeking).

You should be able to print application materials from the state’s Department of Education website. The application may include a form titled something similar to “College Recommendation” or “University Verification,” etc. If there is such a form (requiring signature of a dean or certification officer), send the form to Peabody’s Office of Teacher Licensure for completion.