Guiding Principles for Improving the Lowest-Performing Schools in Tennessee
This brief explores state-led efforts to turn around low-performing schools. Distilling research on school reform from the past several years, including research conducted by TERA, we compile a set of guiding principles for state efforts to improve low-performing schools. These guiding principles constitute a coherent and interconnected approach to reform, all of which are necessary to improve Tennessee's low-performing schools.
- Establish a dedicated organizational infrastructure.
- Identify and address barriers to improvement.
- Increase instructional capacity.
- Increase leadership capacity.
- Implement processes and practices to maintain stability.