Next Steps Application Process
All applicants must:
- Complete the online Student Application.
To download a printable application checklist, click here.
- Mail or upload the required documents to the Next Steps at Vanderbilt office by the deadlines below.
- Personal Statement
- Copy of most recent psychological-educational evaluation. Contact Next Steps at Vanderbilt office if you have questions concerning this document.
- This evaluation needs to include both an achievement and an adaptive assessment that are less than 3 years old. AND
- And an IQ test that is less than 3 years old, or two IQ assessments that have commensurate scores regardless of when they were given.
- Official High School Transcript
- Current or most recent IEP
- Two Recommendation Letters (both should come from non-family members who have known the applicant for at least three years. Recommendations should include at least one (1) from an educator. Recommendation forms are included in the application
- Functional Behavior Assessment and Related Service Assessment, if applicable
- Copy of Guardianship Agreement (if applicable)
- Documentation of status with Vocational Rehabilitation (i.e. open case, in process of applying, denied)
- Pay a $50, non-refundable application fee.
- Participate in a personal interview, if notified by the admissions committee. Selected candidates are also invited back for a “trial day” on campus that usually occurs within two weeks of the interviews.
- Applying for early consideration provides you with an earlier admission decision and more time to plan for the transition to college. Note that applying for early consideration does not mean you cannot apply to other programs at the same time.
- The early consideration application deadline is November 15, 2017.
- Early consideration admission decisions will be announced by January 15, 2018.
- The regular consideration application deadline is January 13, 2018.
- Regular admission decisions will be announced by March 30, 2018.
- Applicants may still be considered after the completion of early and regular consideration deadlines on a space available basis.
- When our incoming class is full, applicants may request their materials be considered for Fall 2019 entry.
- We strongly encourage applicants to submit materials in advance of the above deadlines.
- We invite interested students to schedule a campus visit at one of our open houses in advance of applying. Information about our open houses can be found here.
- Although we recognize that many students might benefit from a program like ours, we often have more qualified students than we have space available to accept.