Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question that isn't addressed below? Email us at

Program FAQ's

Application FAQ's

Financial Aid FAQ's

Please visit Financing Your Education and our Financial Aid FAQ's for more information.



Does Peabody offer online/distance degrees?
Yes, Peabody offers two online degree programs: Ed.D. in leadership and learning in organizations and M.Ed. in human development counseling. Information about our online programs can be found here.

I want to contact a specific department for further information, how do I find the right person?
Refer to our departmental contacts list. If you still need help, contact the graduate admissions office at (615) 322-8410 or

I have heard about your fifth-year master’s programs. Are these available to anyone?
The fifth-year master’s programs are available only to Vanderbilt undergraduate students.

I am interested in a campus visit. How can I schedule one?
You can arrange a campus visit by clicking on the visit campus link and finding a date suitable to your schedule. Advance notice is appreciated.

What is the difference between a Ph.D. and an Ed.D.?
Ph.D. programs are for students who primarily want to be researchers. If you only want to teach, you may want to look elsewhere. Our Ph.D. programs are heavily research-based. You are required to be a full-time student and the programs are fully funded, and take about 4-5 years to complete.

Ed.D. programs are for students who want to be practitioners. It is still considered a terminal degree. Two years of work experience and a Master’s degree are required for entry into the Ed.D. program. Instead of a dissertation, there is a capstone experience during the final semester. The Ed.D. program begins in the summer term and is structured as a cohort model, meaning that students take all of their coursework together in the first half of the program and then divide out between Education Leadership and Policy (K-12) or Higher Education Leadership and Policy toward the end of the 3-year program.

How much is the application fee?
There is no cost to submit an application for our master's and Ed.D. programs. There is a $95 fee for the Ph.D. application.

When is the application deadline?
Please view the Admissions Timeline for application deadlines.

What are the required application materials?
Please view the Application Checklist for the materials you will need to include with your application. Please note that applications are not reviewed until all materials have been received.

What is the GRE code for Peabody/Vanderbilt?
The GRE code is 1871.

How long are my GRE scores good for?
We will accept GRE scores that have been taken within the last five years.

Do you accept the MAT instead of the GRE?
The Miller Analogies Test (MAT) can only be used in place of the GRE for the Human and Development Counseling M.Ed. program and all M.Ed. programs in the Department of Teaching and Learning. The GRE is required for all other programs.

I am applying to a Ph.D. program and already have a master's degree. Do I need to take the GRE?
Yes, GRE scores are required for all Ph.D. applicants.

What is the most important part of my application?
The committee does a holistic review of the application. We consider your GRE score, prior academic record, interest and focus in the program (through your statement of purpose), work experience, extracurriculars, and letters of recommendation. For the Ph.D. programs, students should be able to articulate what kind of research and which professors fit their research interest.

Do I need to send official transcripts?
For the application you may submit unofficial transcripts or a copy of your official transcripts. We understand that requesting official transcripts can be expensive, so we only require official, sealed transcripts if you are admitted and enroll at Peabody College.

I am an international student. Do I need to send a WES evaluation of my transcript?
A WES evaluation (or an evaluation from an approved credentials evaluation agency) is not required for the application. For your application you will just need to submit an English translation of your transcript. If you are accepted and enroll at Peabody College you will be required to to have your transcripts evaluated by an approved credentials evaluation agency and to have an official report sent by the agency to the Graduate Admissions Office. The World Education Services (WES) is the preferred agency used by Peabody College.

How long should my statement of purpose be?
Your statement of purpose should be around two typed pages, double-spaced.

When will I receive notification that a decision has been made on my application?
All completed applications will be reviewed after the priority deadline of December 31 and you can expect to have a decision by mid-March. You will receive an email when a decision has been made on your application.

My recommender has not received the invitation to submit a recommendation letter. What do I do?
If your recommender has not received the email invitation to submit a recommendation letter, please log back in to your application and re-send the email. When emails are re-sent, they are reconfigured to avoid SPAM filters. If your recommender still does not receive the invitation after the second attempt, please contact with the recommender's full name, title, and email address and Peabody Graduate Admissions will manually send the email for you.

Do I have to wait for all of my letters of recommendation to be received by Vanderbilt University before I can submit my application?
You may submit your application before all letters of recommendation are received by Vanderbilt University. Recommenders will still be able to submit letters after you officially submit your application.